Tuesday, January 11, 2011

In the Sea of Trees - Demo I (2010)

I'm not the first to share this (honestly, I rarely am), but I'll share this anyway.

In the Sea of Trees is an LA-based project, and straight from the source's mouth:

In the Sea of Trees inspired by the aokigahara forest of mt. fuji. My music is somewhere between (post) folk/black metal/ neofolk along with more traditional folk musics (old time, bluegrass, gypsy, celtic). I play Mandolin, Violin, Acoustic Bass, Saw, and Washboard in these songs. I am planning on adding acoustic guitar, some percussion and banjo on my upcoming songs. 

While my music is completely instrumental I am completely outspoken about a lot of issues such as green anarchy, veganism, feminsim, anti-racism, etc... pro-equality, pro-collapse.



Aokigahara (青木ヶ原), also known as the Sea of Trees (樹海 Jukai), is a 35 km2 forest that lies at the base of Mount Fuji in Japan. The forest contains a number of rocky, icy caverns, a few of which are popular tourist destinations.
The forest, which has a historic association with demons in Japanese mythology, is a popular place for suicides; in 2002, 78 bodies were found, despite numerous signs, in Japanese and English, urging people to reconsider their actions.
Due to the wind-blocking density of the trees, and an absence of wildlife, the forest is known for being eerily quiet.
- Quote Wikipedia ("Aokigahara")


In the Sea of Trees is certainly beautiful acoustic music. Melodic folk at it's best. I can definitely see how it is influenced by, of course folk, but also folk (black) metal (specifically of the North American variety). However, I do not see where any BM is present. Perhaps it will surface in later releases, or perhaps I simply have misunderstood the description given to me about this music. Irrespective of that, I love it. And with solid radical left and green politics to match, it's definitely something worth checking out.

And by the way, this is perhaps some less "happy" folk than say Blackbird Raum, for those interested in such.

http://www.last.fm/music/In+the+Sea+of+Trees





Album Name: Demo I
Band: In the Sea of Trees
Genre: Folk
Year: 2010
Country:
Track Listing:

1.Decaying Existence09:57
2.Downcast and Lurid04:47
3.The Darkening Skies03:30
4.The Discontention06:31
Total playing time24:45


DOWNLOAD

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

You might also like: (under construction...)